I'm confused. To do what I meant, I obviously need to assign the same ESSID
and passkey. You mean I should, for example, use channel 6 on both
AP? Or,
say, channel 6 on one and channel 11 on the other?

Channels 1, 6, or 11 on each AP. When you have more than 3, I think they
are supposed to be arranged where the same channel assignments are the
farthest distance apart so a given client can only see one AP on the same

PS, Zebra support told me how to display signal strength:

Did you also ask them if the units will do periodic network scans even if
the signal is adequate? And if so, if there is a way to disable it?
Or if they units should be able to sustain rated speed even when connected

I don't know that network scans are the issue, but it sounds like the same
thing I've heard of in streaming video forums.

Related ...