It wouldn't be a full flown HTTP server . . . SNIP . . . It would not
> be contacted by clients directly (or so I thought). Isn't it the
> server's ASP page logic which would be asking me for the data then
> building the page to present to the client?

In that case, yes, the ASP interpreter would be the client (rather than a browser, or whatever) that connects to you. I guess that simplifies things somewhat.

If I have to dela with clients directly, than by all means yes. And
if that lets me use SSL easily but there is no easy way for me to do
SSL or equivalent otherwise, than that argues for using Apache too.

You don't need Apache to do SSL -- on i5/OS, Apache uses a module called "mod_ibm_ssl" that IBM supplies with i5/OS. This module lets Apache call the i5/OS APIs for SSL (called "Global Secure Tool Kit", or GSKit for short... despite the fancy name, it's included in the OS).

Your RPG (or any ILE language) program can call the GSKit APIs directly to get SSL support, if you decide to go that route. I wrote an article for System iNEWS magazine about these APIs, I can dig up a link if you're interested.

I just figured running Apache would take many more resources than a
relatively simple socket program such as those in your tutorials.

That may be true? I imagine that Apache uses quite a bit of storage, but does that matter if you have a single-level store system, where disk is used for stuff that's infrequently used?

Also, Apache is multi-threaded. RPG programs are not. If you want to handle multiple simultaneous connections, the RPG solution can either multiplex them (one activation of the program handling multiple sockets by reading from each one in a loop) or it can submit a new job for each instance. By contrast, Apache can handle multiple connections all in one job, because it's multi-threaded. Does the Apache still use more resources, then? Hard to say without actually writing them both and doing a comparison.

Of course, Apache would still have to run an RPG program as a CGI, which means communicating with another job, so then again, you might end up back at the multiple jobs approach anyway...

Like I said, it's hard to say without really comparing them.

If you decide to write your own, I'd be happy to point you at various resources or answer questions to help you out.