Put the rseserver.jar on your linux partition/box and use WDSCi to edit the files. Install instructions are included with WDSCi, search on the jar name. The hardest part will be locating the jar in IBM's jumble of directories.

as for edit, dunno, edit returns not found on my RedHat and Fedora installs, and Ubuntu seems to just do nothing.

Simpler is a matter of taste, and it depends... on ALL *nix variants, there is vi. If you spend any time administering these systems, you would do well to learn it. O'Reilly's Learning vi is probably one of the best sources and you will see/find copies of the reference card from the book laying about on any good Linux admin's desk. (I think you might still be able to download it.)

If you decide to learn vi... practice on a file you no longer care about... really.

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have a simple text configuration file that I have to edit in linux. Thought I'd take a WAG and try
edit myfile
Well I'm editing the file, but I'm making a mess. Can't figure out how to delete a blank line I inserted and I can't figure out how to get out of this editor.

1 - How do I get out of this editor?
2 - Is there a different, but simple, editor I should be using for simple few liner configuration files?

This is on a linux lpar so that probably counts as midrange related, eh?