Hi Roger,

> With that authority, the stored procedure will place job
information, a processing code and the data to insert/update on to a
generic queue.

Okay, I think this might be where I misunderstood you. I thought the TRIGGER (not the stored procedure) was to put the data on the data queue.

I thought your original problem was that the trigger couldn't open the file (because it lacked adopted authority) and therefore the trigger was going to put an entry on a data queue, and let the background job write to the file. In this scenario, accessing the data queue becomes equivalent to accessing the file -- since anyone who can write to the data queue can also write to the file -- and therefore the data queue has to be locked down at the same level as the file. If that were the case, the trigger couldn't write to the data queue anymore than it could write to the file, and you'd be back to square one.

However, I now understand that you won't be writing to the queue from the trigger. Instead, you'll write to the queue from the stored procedure directly. Since the stored procedure CAN adopt authority, there's no problem.

Though, if you're going to write the queue directly from the stored procedure, one must wonder why you couldn't write to the database file directly from the stored procedure. (Instead of writing from the trigger where adoption doesn't work.) So I guess there's something that's unclear in my mind...

If I was bright enough to write a generic stored procedure that would
work for a variety of files, I can see how it might provide unacceptable
access to the database.

No, I didn't think you were going to make it generic enough to work on any file. That never even crossed my mind.

My point was very simple: If access to the data queue provides the same function as access to the file, then the data queue must be secured the same way as the file. Otherwise, whichever one is protected with less security is the weak link in the chain. (And a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.)

LMTUSR won't know the data queue name, won't have access to the library
> it is in even if LMTUSR did know the name, and the queue doesn't
> answer requests for data. At my level of understanding, it appears
> that LMTUSR can only see the data we explicitly allow. LMTUSR cannot
> see data the stored procedure does not explicitly include in the
> return values.

Securing the object by hiding the data queue name from the user is "security by obscurity". In that case there's nothing physically preventing the user from accessing the data, it's just a lack of knowledge on the user's part. If that's an acceptable risk to your company, then you're fine. Many organizations don't believe in security by obscurity, however.

You say that the user won't have access to the library that the data queue is in, which leads us back to square 1. The trigger won't be able to update it, because the user doesn't have authority to it. If you move the "add to queue" operation to the program that can adopt authority, then you may as well have movied the "add to file" operation to a program that can adopt authority, since the queue and the file are basically equivalent. If you grant the user access to the queue, then the user DOES have access to the queue, so you're back to security by obscurity.

Does that make sense? Obviously, I'm not in your shoes, and I don't know very much about the business task at hand or the client, or what's considered an "acceptable risk'. I just recognized the pattern of an "equivalent object" to the secured one, and with that it mind, came up with a reply...