Error changed a bit.  Here is statement:

update pre_case a
   set (a.patient_name) =
       select coalesce(b.patient_name,a.patient_name)
            from demographic b
           where a.medical_record_no = b.medical_record_no
                  and a.medical_record_no = '990030133'

and here is error:

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'a'.

I am only guessing here, but is a word missing?

John McKee

Quoting Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx>:

Try the statement by removing the 3 " as "
For example
update pre_case a
   set (a.patient_name) =
       select coalesce(b.patient_name,a.patient_name)
            from demographic b
           where a.medical_record_no = b.medical_record_no
                  and a.medical_record_no = '990030133'

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019