From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:02 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Thin Console

I've only installed one, but would agree with Lukas's observations.
At the time (december) Neoware had no documentation mentioning an
iSeries/System i, and IBM had minimal mention of this product.

System came shipped with twinax as console - had to
use front panel to alter. This is not Neoware's fault, but watch the IBM
order - if it has twinax controller, they may "assume" twinax console.
btw-would have politically killed the deal to use a twinax console...
Neoware unit lost contact twice with system over 4 day period,
and was powered by UPS (never plug your console into the wall!)

Having said that - I love the idea of a non-twinax, non-windows,
very simple setup console. The problem I see is that a console
should be a "quality" product, in fact every access device to a system
should be a quality product. Cheap cr*p has no place here.
My only concern with products IBM has not blessed is maintaining
compatibility. Been burned more than once.
jim franz