Thanks for your reply Clyde.
Upon further testing, it looks like the placement of QTEMP within the
library list has a major impact.
Our sites "rule" is that QTEMP is low in the library list. There is no
problem in creating the physical in QTEMP, the problem is creating the
logical in QTEMP, linking to the Physical also in QTEMP. I can create the
file, but it ends up with no member. I even tried ADDLFM ending up with the
same error message - and no member.
Changing QTEMP to be *FIRST, results in there being no problems, both the
Physical AND Logical are created WITH members and the data in the logical
is linked to the physical. I don't know if this is "as designed" but to me
there should be no problems in creating a Logical tied to a physical in
whichever library even if there is another file (or files) of the same
names in other libraries within your library list.

Anyway - thanks to everyone who supplied answers and suggestions to my
dilemma.

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019