I did work for one software house some years ago (does the S/38 count in this?)
they had a S/38 client, and the two programmers from our software house who
looked after them prior to me getting there hated each other, and were each
having affairs with seperate women in the client company, well one left, and a
few months later when the other guys girlfriend signed onto the system on her
birthday, instead of the menu she expected she got a screen saying "BOOM the
bomb goes off!" then everyone else who signed on after her got the same screen.
The client was soon in deep trouble, and could not get hold of the guy to help
and very foolishly were signing off and on all over the place trying to get it
cleared. The upshot of all this was the guy had put a simple CL program into
the signon routine that checked the date and user ID, when the girl signed on
and it was her birthday or later then it set a flag and whoever signed on at
any terminal (it was all dumb stuff then)after that it just displayed the
screen. A very simple "virus"/malicious CL pgm, but because of circumstances
the client was down for about 6 hours, from what I was told by their manager.
Daft thing was they had left the source on the box so any malicious little
weasel could re-activate it at any time. As for iSeries programmers being
morally unable to write viruses because they "aren't built that way" as someone
roughly said, I don't think that really holds water. Just my thoughts.

Steve

From my recollection NO iSeries has ever been shut down by a virus running
on the iSeries, but the FUD factor can sometimes create a perceived need
:-)

I would love to hear a real live story of an iSeries shut down by an
iSeries virus.

Anyone, anyone ?

Regards,
Richard Schoen