From: Lukas Beeler

Without any intent to attack you directly or something like that, I've
always found it silly to compare Windows/System I security, because it
just doesn't work.

No offense taken, Lukas.  But unfortunately, exactly such comparisons hjave
to be made whenever someone is being conned into replacing an iSeries with a
Windows machine.

Comparing a desktop OS, with desktop applications to a server which only
allows access through 5250 security-wise doesn't work.

A better comparison would be a Windows Server 2003 running as a Terminal
Server, locked down to only allowing an ERP Application like Navision or
Axapta to run.

But the problem is that the Windows servers being sold to replace iSeries
boxes are not configured this way.  That's because there are those Windows
advocates who argue that a properly secured Windows server is as secure as
an iSeries, but it is my position that, based on the continuing security
exploits of Windows, that no Windows platform is secure.

OTOH, while i5/OS in itself is a very robust operating systems, the SOP
of most customers I've seen is HORRIBLE. Lot's of systems still running
on Security Level 20, the QSECOFR password unchanged, using unencrypted
Telnet to access your information. That's not the fault of IBM, isn't
it? However, many shops have an equally lax windows security practice.
i5/OS just lacks the number to be a feasible exploitation target.

This argument doesn't apply to ANY hardware or software.  If you're a
security idiot in this day and age, you deserve exactly what you get.

And while we get PTFs by the truckload after just a quarter, Microsoft's
amount of patches actually allows you to see what components are
changed. While this is also possible with PTFs, usually you just don't
have the time. Looking at 10 patches per month is feasible, but with
about more than 100 PTFs per quarter, it's no longer feasible.

I can't even begin to respond to this.  If you're as worried about what the
iSeries patches do as you claim to be and yet you can't take the time to
read the cover sheets for 100 lousy PTFs, then I'm confused.  Whereas
Microsoft is CONSTANTLY sending me updates like this:

"Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a system running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control
over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from
Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer."

I then have to go here:

Which in turn leads me to four different pages that look like this:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-5581

Crap.  If you can read forty or fifty of those a month of those a month, you
can certainly scan a similar number of cover letters, especially if you
limit yourself to ones that say "Security" rather than "Incorrect Output".
(Heck, if Windows put out a PTF every time there was incorrect output, you
wouldn't have time to use your computer between the updates.)

Security is very important topic, but the most problem lie in the
administration itself, and not what get's shipped from the OS vendor.

I don't disagree with this point, but it still can't be used as some sort of
excuse to say that Windows is as secure as i5/OS.  It is not.

Joe