I have found on occasion that with Websphere, Websphere Portal, and HTTP
admin that latest is not always the greatest.  It's a fuzzy area and
I've not been getting consistent answers.  I have asked IBM to do a
compatability and tested matrix between OS/400, Cums, WAS groups, WPS
groups, and software versions.   We will see what we get - it's more
complex but we need something like we have with Domino.

We recently had some questions about a problem we were seeing with
Portal and I did get some push back because the indication was that
Portal 5.1.0.1 had not been tested on WAS 6.0.2.15.  It wasn't that we
should have been more current with Portal but that we would have been
better at 6.0.2.5. This was not the first time where we have had
questions about actually being too current.  You will also notice a line
or two in the WAS group ptf documentation that indicates that this
version of WAS was tested with Cum level whatever and should work with
it or later.  So, evidently the WAS people are doing some testing in
coordination with cums but not for each and every cum.

I will say that I am finding more reasons to update WAS at faster
intervals then I am with other application environments, including
Domino.  We will implement a new function and it doesn't work or work
right.  We investigate and we find that there is a fix in the WAS group.
That is somewhat routine.  We never have that problem with our other
environments.

David is correct.  While there is new functionality in PTF's it's not a
high rate that I have been able to determine.  For me lately it seems to
be in the HTTP group than in the WAS area (http admin functionality).
Not scientific by any stretch.

So, I see both sides.  I would just make them qualify the reasons behind
the request.

Michael Crump

Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc.
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f

Make it too tough for the enemy to get in and you can't get out.
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Saint-Gobain.  If it did it would be
folded, mutilated, watered down, politically corrected, and would show
up a week later if at all.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them,
nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
error.