John,

 I'm not sure where we disagree.

1) Dumb terminals:  IBM has not (yet) discontinued support for 5250
devices.  That makes it mandatory for even a GUI'ed application to be able
to detect the device type at the other end of the line and generate the
appropriate data stream.  This type of detection is already in place when
using the more advanced DDS keywords, such as mouse support.

2) Browser: This is the most ubiquitous access method to the web and many
applications.  Regardless of client OS, you'll most likely find decent
browsers available.  This is a "must have" option for native GUI
generation.

3) Thick client GUI: There are probably many shops that would forgo the
simplicity of a browser in order to have more control over the look and
feel of the output.  Also, it could probably save some network traffic.

 Support for #1 and #2 are required, #3 would be nice.  What major
obstacles do you see preventing IBM from implementing any of these
options?

 -mark

Mark,

I have to disagree.

To set the stage for my response, here's a little about my employer:
- We're a global company in business since 1783 with offices in 45+
countries and in many cases more than one office per country.
- Literally thousands of employees who work in small offices of 2-15
people.  22K+ employees worldwide.
- Dozens if not hundreds more who work out of their home.
- Lots of clients, but the bulk of them are companies you've heard of.
Banks and other financial services firms, global companies with all
kinds of product offerings from software to telecomm to restaurants to
consumer goods.
- The production servers (iSeries, Windows, etc.) are not in an on-site
data center.  There are no 'local' users.
- IT services are a critical part of our offerings to clients.  We
absolutely have to be able to deliver applications to the above entities
regardless of where they are located, what they are running, and how
they connect.

With that said:

1. Dumb terminals are a dead end.  It's way past time to move on.  It
doesn't matter if they're more reliable, cheaper, more efficient, or
have other superior traits.  They've lost the battle.  This isn't just
my opinion and I don't say it because terminals don't work for my
situation; it's the opinion of the market.  Goodbye, Betamax.  For those
of you who still use dumb tubes, I have to ask in what way do they NOT
promote the idea of the iSeries being an ugly, old, outdated system?
Also, there're no reasonable capability to support mobile and home-based
workers.  Without raising a lot of concerns over security, buying a lot
of extra equipment, and other things there's no ability to deploy access
via dumb terminal to customers.

Smart terminals - the ones that connect via Ethernet, run embedded
Windows/Linux/whatever, and offer native browser support and limited app
capabilities - do not fall in to the dumb terminal category.

2. There's too much development and support overhead for thick clients.
It's a constant battle to stay compatible with whatever desktop
operating systems are popular and to keep working with patches and
updates to those OSes.  Windows, Mac, and Linux all come in multiple
flavors and supporting and those flavors tend to vary a lot.  Windows is
dominant yet Linux is gaining ground and Mac is holding on.  Do you eat
the costs for developing for all of those or do you potentially ignore
your customers who are Mac shops to save the development effort of
writing a Mac port of the app?  What happens when the next Windows
service pack comes out?  Vista support?  Windows 95 support?  What
happens when your app is accidentally declared to be spyware or a virus
by some well-meaning-but-wrong update to an anti-malware engine?
Because that's what your customers are running, is your help desk ready
to support every desktop OS with every possible patch combination from
the last 12 years?  If not, which segment of your customer base will
move to suppliers who will support them?

3. Much like "the network is the computer", the browser is the client.
Your development efforts are simpler and the end result is far less
dependent on (although not _independent_ from) the client architecture.
It is also fairly easily decoupled from the back-end application &
database engines making n-tier deployments possible if desired.  Web
server technologies generally make clustering easier, supporting
horizontal as well as vertical scalability.  And Internet-based delivery
can take advantage of existing services for things like performance
boosting ( http://www.netli.com/ ).

The browser advantages get stronger when you want to deploy an app to
your business partners/client/suppliers/remote workforce.  Encryption is
handled via SSL; there's no programming and exceptionally little
administration.  Standard ID/password or stronger multi-factor
authentication is available.  Tools are readily available to
automate/script HTTP conversations, making the task of automating secure
data feeds easier.  And every company will open port 443 to your site
for application access (try that with your fat client that needs ports
4730-4739 and port 2003 open or even worse - port 23 for TN5250).

Also, which architecture will let you deploy to your field workers or
customers who want to use a cel phone for app access?  Don't laugh;
thousands of people do it now.  If you're not going to support the
mobile systems then you are again painting yourself/the iSeries as
outdated.  PalmOS has Blazer, Opera Mini, and others.  Windows for
SmartPhones/Pocket PC has some stripped version of IE.  BlackBerries and
Symbian handhelds have browsers as well.  My PalmOS Treo has EvDO
connectivity; up to 2Mbps speed to my phone.  I can easily stream video,
download large email attachments, use it as a DSL-equivalent modem for
my laptop, run Google Maps (
http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html?utm_source=us-et-more&utm_medium=et
&utm_campaign=gmm ), etc.  Why shouldn't I be able to check parts
inventory or order status while at a client site?

If you write for the browser and you adhere to standards, you will not
have to do that much customizing to run on all of the above browsers.

Sure, browsers have compatibility issues as well, but they aren't nearly
as difficult to work around as client-based applications are.  And the
whole point is that you are writing code to a single interface that
every employee, remote worker, customer, and supplier is already running
on every device they own that has some sort of connectivity.  This
simplifies development.  It can also simplify the job of the help desk
which should lead to better employee satisfaction with IT and better
customer satisfaction with your company.

Dumb terminals are dead.  Fat clients are only good in limited
situations.  The browser is, at the moment, the only universally
deployed and universally accepted application interface for delivery of
host-base computing.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.