QHSTLOGSIZ was at 5000 and I upped it to 64K. Agreed that 5000 is *waytoolow. In this case though it's ironic that the 5K size actually helped the customer fix the problem in a roundabout way. Because the problem generating runaway log entries it also generated too many objects in QSYS and therefore the backup failed (SAVSYS) and left the system in dedicated mode. Because the sysop panicked and IPLed (instead of restarting QCTL) the problem that was pouring the log entries into QHST was cleared up. Then system cleanup would have made all those buggers go away over the next 30 days, and had I not been there and looked they would never have understood what the problem ever was and their disk space would have gone right back down to normal.

 - Larry

Al Barsa wrote:
Larry,

Please check QHSTLOGSIZ.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com