     To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     From: Don <dr2@xxxxxxxx>
     Date: 11/03/2006 04:13PM
     Subject: Re: iSeries Security in Computerworld

     I'll never forget back several years ago when I walked into the head of
     accounting for a municipality in the SE, walked up to her terminal,
     created
     my own USRPRF on the fly from a signon screen and in 4 minutes was
     playing
     in her payroll and G/L....I think they were at seclvl(10) or
     lower...forget
     back then...  The problem here was that their business pudnah had set it
     up
     that way and told them to leave it alone so that they could dial in
     easily...or some other stupid stuff...  Well, they changed a few things
     the
     next day...  Not sure if they're still with the same pudnah... :)

     Don in DC

     At 02:53 PM 11/3/2006 -0600, you wrote:
     >I remember being able to log on remotely to another state agency's
     >system as QSECOFR QSECOFR not too many years ago.  They thought they
     >could achieve security through obscurity until I pointed out how
     >vulnerable they were.

     list