I doubt 1,000 is even close. I run across some very old
boxes that have no support, no maintenance, and no IBM
support of any kind.

Imagine one of these customers calling 1-800-IBM-4YOU
and getting some "help" ?

The current BP program is not geared toward the small
business installs. They could care less for an account
that spends a max of $20,000.

That attitude now explains the total lack of boxes
being seen any more. When the small accounts were thrown
to the wind, that destroyed the future pipeline.

The larger accounts will eventually be the only boxes left.

pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

At COMMON in MSP last spring, I bet Mark Shearer $1000 that I could come
   up with 1000 systems like this, where they either don't know how to get
   current, or don't want a BP to come in. A lot of these places have a long
   time contract programmer who does things for them from time to time. Those
   programmers fear that the BP will start whispering in the customer's ear,
   and before you know it, Joe Programmer is history.
   All these folks want is a number to call at IBM to get some help.