"1. Looking for comments from actual users of Thin Consoles now
available. Good & Bad.
Old pc is not an option.
Small shop (no tech onsite) deciding if wanting to keep the 100% always
available twinax console. (owner actually said "I want something more
modern looking....")" -- I've set this console up - you basically connect
it to one of the two HMC ports on the system unit, and turn it on.  After
entering a language and a password (for the service processor), which gets
stored on the thin console, it's no different from using a twinax terminal.
Except you don't need to purchase a twinaxial adapter, thus saving yourself
a PCI slot.  It's the same form factor as the models you see on the
neoware.com web site, and if you have a flat panel monitor, looks quite
'modern'.

2. What does it take to change a i5 520 from twinax console to Thin
Console?
To make console changes, you need to use the control panel on the front of
the system unit.  There is a combination of extended operator panel codes
(65 + 21) that sets the console type that i5/OS SLIC expects.  You can find
this information in the Hardware Information Center under the topic called
Consoles, interfaces, and terminals.  Look for Changing to or from the Thin
Console
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r3s/topic/iphca/changethinconsole.htm
********************

Edith Lueke
User-Centered Design Team, iSeries
http://w3.rchland.ibm.com/~lueke
email:  lueke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/ucd
507-253-4908        Tie:  8-553-4908

"..once a system is in development, correcting a problem costs 10 times
more than fixing the same problem in design.  If the system has been
released, it costs 100 times more"..  Susan Weinschenk
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060306/tc_nm/productreturns_dc