You can register a telnet exit program that will receive the ip address of the device attempting a connection. I have been using one for years to make certain that the device name matches the ip address and that it is configured as the proper device type. The program rejects any non-valid connection attempt and writes the details to a log file. I'd be happy to make it available to you off-list.

Patricia Garrity wrote:
I have a V5R3 system on which, for security reasons,
QAUTOVRT is set to zero.  Each device that connects is
assigned a device name and those individual devices
exist on the system.  Occasionaly, I see message
CPF8940 - Cannot automatically select virtual device,
because somebody, somewhere is attempting to connect
using a device that has not been defined.
Does anybody have an easy way, (and I know that easy
is relative) to determine what the IP address is of
the device that is trying to connect.
I say IP address because no signon has been attempted
yet, (no signon screen was even presented) so no user
profile has been entered.  With IP address, I could
look in our DHCP server and see which device, (MAC
address) was assigned the IP address that is now
trying to get a virtual terminal.
I have looked in QSYSOPR message queue, QTVDEVICE
joblogs, QINTER subsystem joblogs, QTCP server
joblogs, and probably most other joblogs and QHST. All I ever see is the CPF8940 message that tells me
some one was denied a device but does not tell me
where they came from.
Plan C is to run a TCP communications trace but the
problem is intermittent at best and there is a lot,
(and I mean a lot) of trace traffic that I would need
to go through to find it.  I was hoping some one had a
suggestion for a plan A or a plan B before I had to go
to plan C.

Thanks

Pat

Patricia Garrity