Glenn Ericson wrote:
Tom ,
so we can put this in proper perspective, what prior systems has Power Tech placed in each LPAR?
Not sure  what  throughput stress  testing  application for  security
3 drive RAID sets might be fine for lite workloads. That 4th drive makes tons of difference.

Glenn:

For proper perspective, start with Al's initial request which included "Note that this is strictly going to be used for development and does not need to be HA."

This is a _development_ system, not necessarily serving large workload production requests.

What got me started on this item was the apparent feeling by many that a few developers ought to expect high-speed response times and all that goes along with a full business-class system. But that just ain't so. We're talking maybe five users/developers at a time.

I suspect that my 170 at home could _technically_ handle it though I'd never propose it; but a brand new 520? He emphasized in a later post "Note again that this is purely for development and NOT for production. If I was going to be having 50+ concurrent users hitting Tomcat then maybe I would agree with you, but I am only going to have maybe 2 concurrent users on this machine using servlet engine at any given time."

There are enough complaints about the high initial cost of AS/400s and more recent systems. It does NOT have to be that high for a limited _development_ system with few users.

I'll have to do a little looking on specifics of a couple systems we moved workloads from. (I'll try to remember over the next day or so.) However, Al's description of what this machine will be used for seemed reasonably close to a big part of our workloads.

If he's right and he doesn't need to serve 100s of concurrent database connections through Java and have numerous queries and index builds running eight hours per day and etc.,... well, maybe he can be as happy as we are.

I balked at accepting 3-drive RAID sets when the configuration was first proposed to me too. Happy surprise for me -- it _can_ work well.

But I do NOT recommend it for business/production. Different circumstances completely.

Tom Liotta