TOMBR('/qsys.lib/qtemp.lib/temporary.file/temporary.mbr')"
Even though I did not write the '/' symbol before the QSYS.LIB parameter,
somehow the system did the right interpretation and worked correctly.

See... this is exactly what frustrates me about this issue, and is the reason I felt it necessary to put it in stronger terms like "PLEASE DON'T BE A FOOL".

Just because your program works in a particular environment, doesn't mean that it'll always work. Type this:

    CD '/qibm'

Now try running your program again.  Does it still work?

Does your company set a requirement that all users have their current working directory set to '/' at all times? Do you screen every software package you install to make sure it always leaves your current directory set to '/'?

Just because you happened to have your current directory set to '/' when you tested the program, doesn't mean that you coded it correctly and that it'll always work.

Here's the tagline from the bottom of your signature:

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."- Anonymous

Right now you're doing it -- but you're not doing it right.