Charles,

The plot gets thicker...

I guess it does.  Many thanks for digging this up, because I was just
telling a client one of the options would be to move up to V5R3 (or 4) and
get PSF/400 and still use their existing IPDS twinax printers.

Not sure I agree that the processing is convoluted on the iSeries.

If AFPRSC or some other similar DDS keyword could be used, I agree it
wouldn't be convoluted.  Having a keyword to add an image to a print file
seems like the logical thing to expect.

Simple text and simple graphical printing: included in OS
Complex graphical printing: need PSF/400 and *IPDS printers
Complex multi-source or electronic document handling: need PSF/400 and
Infoprint Server.

And yet none of these, including PSF/400 with Infoprint Server, will now let
me add thumbnail images to my invoices using the existing IPDS printers
(which as twinax attached since they don't yet have PSF/400).

It is not like the printer can't handle graphics.  So why shouldn't PSF/400
handle AFPRSC() or some other keyword for dynamically inserting an image
file?

I think however, that in this day and age, it would behoove IBM to throw
PSF/400 and Infoprint Server in the base price of the OS.

I could do graphics printing to a cheap Windows attached printer more than a
decade ago.  And while I haven't needed it in the past on the iSeries, it is
disappointing to find out that there really isn't an easy way to do this in
a print file, using IPDS printers which are capable of graphics...

Guess it is back to looking at third-party solutions.

Doug