In our development environment, we have a development message file
(ARDEV/DEVMSGF), and a QC-level message file (ARQCOBJ/QCMSGF). The message
could be in those or in the regular message file. We want to show the
development message (if it exists) before the QC message, and the QC message
before the production message in SYSMSGF. So this program (SNDMSG) is called
whenever a program needs to send a message subfile message:

PGM        PARM(&MSGID)
DCL        VAR(&MSGID) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(7)
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000)
OVRMSGF    MSGF(SYSMSGF) TOMSGF(ARQCOBJ/QCMSGF)
OVRMSGF    MSGF(QCMSGF) TOMSGF(ARDEV/DEVMSGF)
SNDPGMMSG  MSGID(&MSGID) MSGF(SYSMSGF)
ENDPGM

OVRMSGF has no errors even if QCMSGF and DEVMSGF don't exist. So we use this
program on production as well.

I guess you can use the principal to override to a language-specific message
file. If it does not exist, then it will just use the file specified in
SNDPGMMSG.

Francis Lapeyre
IS Dept. Programmer/Analyst
Stewart Enterprises, Inc.