This discussion misses the essential property of queues: they allow
asynchronous processing, in which the caller doesn't wait for the callee
to finish, but continues in parallel with it.

In

Steve Richter wrote:

"You can make a strong case that data queues have no place in
application systems."

...and...

"Program call is much better."

It's not a question of what is "better," but what is required to
accomplish what you want to do.

If you want the calling pgm to wait until the called pgm finishes
(synchronous processing), use a call.

If you want the calling pgm to continue after starting the called pgm,
and the called pgm to operate in parallel with the caller (asynchronous
processing), use a queue.

You can't achieve asynchronous processing with calls.  You have to use
queues.

Steve wrote:

"Classify the dtaq however you want. In my thinking they are
functionally being used in place of a program call."

OK, that's an argument against using queues for synchronous processing,
an argument which has some validity.

However, making the leap to "data queues have no place in application
systems" is equivalent to "asynchronous processing has no place in
application systems."

--Dave