Tomasz,

I've been doing A LOT of looking for the past few months for a cost
effective, modern query tool that has the qualities you state and more.
 While there are a lot of good query tools out there many of the better
ones are also VERY pricey (> $60,000) or they only allow queries to be
made in a 5250 environment and we want all GUI.  Or they impose the need
for another complex layer of administration because they want their own
metadata repository on a separate Windows box and on and on.

What I've settled on is QMF for Windows.   There is also a QMF for
WebSphere.   They both come on the same disk.  For now, we'll probably
install QMF for Windows and perhaps migrate to QMF for Websphere.

Even though it is a Windows oriented product, it does not require
another server, but, if you wish,  you can install it as a server
install which is what I'll do for software maintenance purposes.   There
is no requirement for any metadata creating on the PC server.   I'll do
that on the i5.

It ties in with EXCEL VERY NICELY or should I say, EXCEL ties in with
it NICELY.    There is an EXCEL or ACCESS plug-in (yes, I know guys, I
shudder as well) that allows your Excel users to call QMF for Windows
from Excel, access a query or procedure there and then automagically put
the result set back in Excel (SLICK) and I'm not an Excel nor Access
lover.

What we also liked about it is you can access and create queries
against multiple platforms, the real DB2s on VM and MVS, DB2 UDB on AIX,
etc., DB2/400, ORACLE, MS Access, etc.  I don't know about MySQL.

As for CFO friendly... the cost is based on number of processors upon
which you will have it active at one time.   The list price is about
$4,375 per processor for unlimited user usage.   You should also get
discounts from your IBM rep so the price per processor will be lower.
The price is the license and software maintenance for 12 months.     If
you are like we are and have a 6-way but only have three processors turn
on and only expect to use it in about half your LPARS and those LPARS
only add up to two processors, then you get a two processor price.

You can download a copy for a 60 day trial from IBM at:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=db2qmf

I'm also considering a companion product called QMF Visionary which is
basically a tool for creating executive and non-query-creator-type users
that like to click on pictures.   While it can do a lot more than that,
it appears a useful tool for creating executive dashboards that work
with QMF for Windows.    You can get a demo at:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=qmfvisionary

HTE,

Dave Odom