I think my problem is related to active Directory.    I found this searching
around over the weekend....

*Enabling QNTC access to Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory *By
default, file shares on a Windows Server 2003 server with Active Directory
installed (for example, a domain controller) cannot be accessed via the
OS/400 Network Client (QNTC) file system. This affects OS/400 commands such
as Save (SAV), Restore (RST) and Work Link (WRKLNK). For example, the OS/400
SAV command cannot do a file-level backup of files on a Windows Server 2003
domain controller with the default settings. *Circumvention *QNTC is an
OS/400 file system that utilizes the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol. By
default, a Windows Server 2003 server installed with Active Directory
requires digital signatures of SMB packets for increased security. Since
QNTC does not yet perform this task, attempts at authenticating to the
server using SMB are denied, making QNTC operations fail. If you are unable
to save Windows Server 2003 data using the SAV command through QNTC file
system, or are unable to view a list of shares defined using the WRKLNK
command through QNTC, then you may need to perform the following steps on
the Windows Server 2003 server to disable the requirement for digitally
signed SMB communications.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). 2. Locate and select the following
key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\
Service\lanmanserver\parameters 3. Double-click the RequireSecuritySignature
value, type 0 in the Value data box, and then click OK. 4. Double-click the
EnableSecuritySignature value, type 0 in the Value data box, and then click
OK. 5. Quit Registry Editor. 6. Reboot the server for the Registry changes
to take effect.*Note: *You can edit the registry by using Registry Editor (
Regedit.exe
Jack