From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Al Mac
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 3:22 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Trace V5R1

A co-worker did something then asked me about it.
I am also struggling to figure out how he ran this, and what
I can do with it.

He says that in Client Access Emulation / Trace Facility
we can start a trace, which populates folder Emulator / Private with
* NTSRC.TRC
* NTFRCOV.TRC

His questions
* What application lets us view these files?
* What should we expect to see in these files?

Well I see from within Client Access we can do
Action / Launch / Trace Facility & there is stuff in the Help
about Trace,
but I did not see where he got Emulator as part of the
picture until I
tracked down where IBM AS/400 Client Access Excess runs
within Windows
Programs ... it has Emulator \ Trace Facility
also within Client Access files there is Emulator \ Private
so this depends where stuff was placed when we installed CA

Our scenario
* We use Client Access and Twinax on AS/400 model 170 OS/400
V5R1 for many
users on BPCS 405 CD via LOCAL, REMOTE, VPN, WIRELESS  Each
user typically
has 2-4 sessions available
** V5R1 is about as high as you can go on AS/400 model 170
** Upgrading to next iSeries box is prohibitively expensive
BPCS license,
so we stay on same box as long as possible
* One REMOTE user has been having intermittently but frequent
hassles/400
... some days no problem ... other days it happens a dozen times
** other users, REMOTE LOCAL VPN also have similar problems
but typically
several days one incident to the next (WIRELESS use so new
for us, its
users not yet know what is normal abnormal)
* her PC screen goes dark, inside CA Window, with message
"host not found"
but her job still active on 400 and moments after her gripe
("it happened
again") we check and communications are up (we have been
having problems
with REMOTE line going down, so we wonder if perhaps there
was a flicker
that we did not see)
** She has more than one session.  Sometimes this happens on
only one side,
with other session functioning fine.  Several users this
happens to, on
different work stations, LOCAL REMOTE.  We not have so much
twinax now as
in the past.  This used to happen on twinax & then I
suspected bad wall
plug, bad twinax cable thru connection, more than one device
same address,
but our CA is to a patch panel, not cable thru.
*** We name our PCs using initials of user, then unique characters
afterwards.  I just deleted some unused on former employees,
and it still
happening, so it can't be case of running out of addresses.
** 95% of time when this happens, she able to walk next door
and use remote
twinax dumb terminal (backup) with no problem
* We rapidly exhausting the usual suspects/400 and looking for other
detective/400 forensics.
* We're native 400 on OS tools, with non-native IBM hardware
connections

-
Al Macintyre
    Programmer, Operations, Security
    jack of all AS/400/BPCS trades, master of some, not enuf

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

Confidentiality Notice:

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information
that may be confidential, protected by applicable legal privileges, or
constitute non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed only to the
designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message
by unintended recipients is
not authorized and may be unlawful.