Charles, I hear you.

I tried both:
CREATE INDEX T1IDXA ON T1 (GLLT ASC, GLDSYJ ASC, GLDGJ ASC)
and
CREATE INDEX T1IDXB ON T1 (GLLT ASC, GLDSYJ ASC, GLDGJ ASC, GLMCU ASC)
T1IDXA was used once in a while.
T1IDXB wasn't used at all (maybe it would have been without T1IDXB).
I originally tried T1IDXB becuase I thought the optimizer would go through
the first 3 selection criteria and then use the last column of the index,
GLMCU to join to t2.  I'm not sure if this is viable logic for DB2/400 - I
will have to look it up.

RH

"Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
> Ryan,
>
> Note that just because an index isn't directly used in an access plan,
> that doesn't mean the statistics intrinsic to the index weren't used by
> the optimizer to determine an access plan.
>
> In other words, don't be surprised if the optimizer does something
> different if you delete those "unused" indexes.
>
> I'd be curious to see what happens if you change:
> CREATE INDEX T1IDX1 ON T1 (GLLT ASC, GLDSYJ ASC, GLDGJ DESC)

> CREATE INDEX T1IDX1 ON T1 (GLLT ASC, GLDSYJ ASC, GLDGJ ASC)
>
> I normally wouldn't expect the order to make a difference.  However,
> given that your query specifies GLDSYJ>=106072 AND GLDGJ<=105365, I
> think I can see why the order might make a difference in this case.
>
> Consider:
> Position at GLLT = 'AA', GLDSYJ = 106072, and GLDGJ = 105365
> Read forward till EOF or GLLT <> 'AA'
>
> Vs.
> Position at GLLT = 'AA', GLDSYJ = *MAXVAL, and GLDGJ = 105365 + 1
> Read backward till EOF or GLLT <> 'AA' or GLDSYJ < 106072
>
> I think the index stats would be easier to make use of with the DESC.  I
> could be way off though ;-)
>
> HTH,
>

> Charles Wilt
> --
> iSeries Systems Administrator / Developer
> Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
> ph: 513-573-4343
> fax: 513-398-1121

Behalf Of Ryan Hunt