midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   3. RE: iSeries Nav and message queues (rob@xxxxxxxxx)
>
>Right clicking on an option and dragging it to your desktop is pretty
>cool.  Like, say you wanted to get into output queues but didn't want to
>open inav, select system, select Basic Operations, select output queue.
>You could do this once and right click on Printer Output, hold it, and
>drag it to your desktop.  Now when you click on the new icon you'll get
>right to where you want to go.

Try adding this to the Properties of the Shortcut after drag/drop:

  /user QSYSOPR

Unfortunately, it only allows an actual *USRPRF name, not a *MSGQ name; so
[/user QSYSMSG] doesn't work. Creating a bogus *USRPRF and then CHGUSRPRF so
that QSYSMSG is the user *MSGQ does work, but I have no good idea of long-term
implications.

The shortcut is against CWBUNNAV.EXE, however there is also LSTMSG.EXE which
can also be a target of a shortcut and takes parms. Other similar iSeries
Access programs exist such as LSTSPLF.EXE, but it's getting harder to find any
documentation for any of them. One source:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/rzakx/javadoc/com/ibm/as400/opnav/UIServices.html
or
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B35725DCC

Working with shortcuts such as these is another area where I _really_ miss
OS/2. Creating desktop 'program objects' (or whatever they were called; NOT
'shadows') allowed you to include a kind of formatted parm string that would
prompt for values, somewhat reminiscent of OS/400 prompted commands. One
'shortcut' could be used for a whole bunch of possible parm values.

Tom Liotta