At the risk of getting too off-topic, would someone be kind enough to
provide this iSeries dinosaur with a brief explanation of why this won't
work?

Answer: because nobody has written software for the iSeries that does that.

Similarly:

Q: I have label software that uses the iSeries as a server. Why doesn't the Windows dinosaur work as a server for that software?

A: Because nobody wrote software for Windows that does that.

I had hoped that "the COM interface" described a set of parameters
that could be passed to a process running on a PC but it sounds like COM
is more than that. My PC uses COM when it sends faxes to the WinFax
server, so I know COM supports communication between separate machines.
Where is the failure point that prevents an iSeries from doing the same?

Nothing prevents it, except that COM and DCOM (distributed COM, which is what you're actually talking about) is a very windows-centric protocol that was designed and implemented by Microsoft with Windows in mind. You could write it for the iSeries if you really wanted to, but why? It would make more sense to use a web service. Or TI-RPC, which is much more platform-neutral. And the iSeries already has both of those and much more.