We've done some testing and found that if we manually set the buffer
size in the client to 60 K on the mount that the
transfer rate seems to be much higher.  The default buffer size setting
is "default" and has been set that way for the two years this has been
in use.  Might something have changed in the way that this is negotiated
in the iSeries V5R3 NFS server?

The iSeries has been on NFS 3.0 for awhile now, I think since V5R1.
Some time ago while testing a connection to MVS we had to force an NFS
2.0 mount to make it work properly but I don't think that's an issue in
this case.

Some history: a couple of years ago the word here was that FTP transfers
would soon be forbidden and NFS would be the standard protocol for file
transfers.  We have had so many issues with NFS between the different
platforms that this has been all but forgotten.

Regards,

Scott