Rob,

I've been going to COMMON for > 20 years and think it's tops. But I'd have to take exception to your statement or, at least, say "it depends."

COMMON sessions are not geared to teaching RPG from ground zero. They are geared for vastly improving your skills ala Cozzi, Paris, et al. If one doesn't know RPG fundamentals, there is no session at COMMON (that I have ever seen) that will get you started. The old IBM PI classes or self-paced learning courses were the places to go for that, but I don't think those exist any more. If one or the other is still around, take it; only takes a week or less.

I haven't been to RPG World, but my guess is that Bob and his crew don't gear their sessions to start-ups either. (Chime in if I err, Bob.) RPG fundamentals aren't that difficult to learn. I worked with a COBOL programmer who learned it by reading the RPG manual over a weekend. I've taught COBOL to RPGers, and visa versa, and COBOLers seem to pick up RPG quicker; probably because of all of the housekeeping chores they get to drop. Anyway, that being said, I'd suggest a local tech or junior college nearby - if you can find one that teaches RPG (there are still a few). Failing that (which is likely), read the RPG IV manual to get the spec sheets and general rules down; don't get bogged down on the details on the first pass.

Then go to COMMON.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries/i5 Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.893.8633x152
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

COMMON is tops to get both ends of that spectrum.