Man, you've got me diggin'!

OK, I did not follow my own advice far enough in looking at the help text. On CHGOUTQ (probably on CRTOUTQ, too) the SEPPAGE parameter (*YES | *NO) only applies to *IP OUTQs, which means remote OUTQs, which means LPR/LPD. So I would expect that one to act as it does in a UNIX system, which is probably after the report.

JOBSEP says it is used only for printer writers, i.e., writers associated with a printer DEVD. It's ignored for remote IP OUTQs. Yikes! And it seems this will not precede every report printed by a job, only the first one.

OK, a couple ideas:

1. Create a dummy DEVD that has the same name as you remote OUTQ - I think the OUTQ has to be in QUSRSYS, where the OUTQ for a DEVD are created automatically. You'll get a message that the OUTQ already exists - that's cool. This might make things behave like a printer device - not sure. It's a trick that was used with OfficeVision, and there are Software KB articles on this - look up remote output queues and look for something about devices.

2. The best answer, is you can do it, is to use network printer devices. I think you say *LAN for device type on the CRTDEVPRT command. You specify an IP address but get all the functionality of devices that is not there with remote output queues. Again, look in the same area of the knowledge base.

On a printer device is a parameter called SEPPGM - this is a programmatic exit you can write that will format a separator page. I assume any printer output will become your separator. haven't used it myself, but it is intriguing. Along with it is a SEPDRAWER parameter. Maybe the Printing IV or other redbook has more information. SEPDRAWER is also found on STRPRTWTR (not STRRMTWTR?) and CHGWTR commands.

AAAAAAHHHHH! Just looked at CRTPRTF, which has the FILESEP parameter, described as follows:

Specifies, for spooled output files only, the number of separator pages placed at the start of each printed file, including those between multiple copies of the same output.

And this seems to be the file separator referred to in the SEPPGM parameter of a printer device. And you can use OVRPRTF to change the FILESEP parameter during a program run.

AFAICT, job and file separators precede the spooled file - the SEPPAGE is a request to the remote system and follows the report.

The "Printer Device Programming" manual has a number of items on these separators, including a section called "Working With Job and file Separators". It's only a couple paragraphs, but I learned there is an example exit in QUSRTOOL. This manual can be found at InfoCenter.

I also did a search at the www.iseries.ibm.com/support on "separator page" and found several items in Incident Summaries. These require a support contract (you probably have one, just need to activate an ID at IBM). Here is some typical stuff:

Note: The SEPPAGE parameter specifies whether to request a separator page (or TCP/IP trailer page) when printing on a remote system. This setting can be overridden by the print server, PC or Unix server. Therefore, there is no guarantee that setting the Print separator page (SEPPAGE) parameter to *YES will result in getting a TCP/IP trailer page just as there is no guarantee that setting the Print separator page (SEPPAGE) parameter to *NO will result in not getting a TCP/IP trailer page.

Apparently there is a Build Separator Pages (QSPBSEPP) API.

Another citation:

Problem Summary:
A separator page is being printed before every AS/400 spooled file. Is there a way to turn this off?

Resolution:
IBM OS/400 supports two different types of separator pages. File separators contain the job name, user name, job number, date, time, file name, file number, and copy number. They are controlled through each spooled file's attributes as well as the Start Printer Writer ( STRPRTWTR ) command. Job separators, on the other hand, contain the job name, user name, job number, date, and time, but not the file name, file number, or copy number. They are controlled through the printer's output queue.

To disable file separators, either use the Change Printer File ( CHGPRTF ) command to set the File separators (FILESEP) parameter to 0 for all printer files and then generate all new spooled files or use the Change Command Default ( CHGCMDDFT ) command to change the Start Printer Writer ( STRPRTWTR ) command so the File separators (FILESEP) parameter defaults to 0, then end and restart all writers. To disable job separators, end the writer, use the Change Output Queue ( CHGOUTQ ) command to set the Job separators (JOBSEP) parameter to 0, and then restart the writer.