A few years ago I wrote an MQ Series based application and used XML to
structure the message 'packet'. The XML tags were created using the 6
character DDS field names. Response time across the network was fine. An
ex-colleague of mine is now at a development site using JAVA. The
developers there are doing much the same thing, except now they're using
the very long and very descriptive JAVA field names as the tag
identifiers.

The thing runs like a 3 legged dog.

The JAVA developers solution? Get a fatter pipe or a faster cpu, or just
get more resources.
The idea that their use of 40 character field names as tags might be
causing an over head of (2 * 40) + 5 (for the brackets and slash) for a
field which might in fact be 1 character long was not a consideration.

We should remember that a variable name is just a code for a memory
address. It's length has to simply be sufficient to distinguish it from
other codes.

I agree that 6 characters can be a little difficult in a large
development, However the shift to 10 and 14 characters is more than
suffficient. The ability to have very long field names eventually makes
code unreadable (IMHO), especially with poorlu structured free-format
coding.

In order to maximize the 'meaningfulness' of variable names we use a
mnemonics dictionary which provides a 3 character mnemonic for commonly
used terms in our application (which happens to be insurance).
Developers are required to create variable names using combinations of
these mnemonics. This, combined with the PREFIX and QUALIFIED keywords
is more than sufficient to uniquely and meaningfully define variable
names.