Andrew,

The 5250 application and Web pages are independent entities so getting them "in sync" would be a challenge. If your intent is to prevent the 5250 app from progressing until the web update is done, you could use a data area or data queue that your 5250 app would edit against and wouldn't proceed until a value was updated there.

Perhaps there will be other folks who will have more clever implementations. You could also do something a bit more sophisticated but you'd have to be using an open source 5250 application like tn5250j so you could customize the behavior of the 5250 emulator, again testing for values updated/changed by your web application.

Just a few thoughts.

Pete Helgren

Lopez, Andrew wrote:

I've done the Google and Midrange mailing list search and can't seem to
find an answer:

Traditional green screen order entry application.   Users access through
Client Access emulation.

When user hits a configured product, we want to launch a URL on the user's
PC, pointing to a web based application hosted in-house but not on the
iSeries.

Users configure the product in this web based application and when they
finish it updates the item master on the iSeries (this update handled by
ODBC) and passes back a part number to the order entry program.

GETURL wouldn't seem to be applicable, as the user needs to actively
configure the product on the web page.  IBM is telling us that RPGLE can
launch the URL, but that the program will not wait for a parameter to be
passed back.   Is there an elegant way to launch the browser and wait for
a parameter to be sent back?  We're using stored procedures to go from the
web based application to the iSeries and return results back to the web
based application. In this case we want the opposite.