Simon,

I decided to test it for myself expecting that it would not work and
> what do you know I'm right. The steps I followed:

Thanks; I had wanted to get to that myself but hadn't made the time to do
so. It is what I would have expected as well.

Thus the only advantage of HLDCMNDEV is that it stops a user signing on
> to a device that is held but it does nothing to help with a session
> that is already signed on.

Assuming you use OPTION(*CNTRLD) instead of *IMMED, as I pointed out in my
original response.
But then *IMMED doesn't gain any real advantages over ending the subsystems,
or a direct ENDJOB.

Interestingly PC5250 **KNOWS** when the host device is HELD.

For true 5250 workstations or emulation connected to a WS controller, that
does not surprise me. For TCP/IP sessions, I don't know enough about how the
virtual device / controller arrangement works to make anything more than
SWAGs.

Based on your tests, I have to question the veracity of the orignally
proposed sollution.

Doug