OMG -- That is so perfect!

I don't know why I didn't think of that, DUH!

Not only does that give me the device name but there's an Object Attribute
field (42-51) which always contains "DSP" in column 42-45 for display
devices.

The rest is simple. Before the save I'll have my program do the DSPOBJD you
suggested, DCLF the file in my CL, RCVF and MONMSG until EOF, %SST column
42-45 and IF it has "DSP" in the new %SST FIELD it'll do a HLDCMNDEV on that
device.

After the save I can just do the same thing again with RLSCMNDEV instead.

That'll be so cool (and safe) ...

Thanks!!!

-Bill

PS: You don't have do agree with it for it to work... <grin>