[Marvin Radding:] Please Note:  You can create a new field in the
logical but it will be input only and you will not be able to update
that field.

Marvin

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:32:39 -0700
from: "Douglas W. Palme" <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Field length needs to be different in logical from physical

I have a PF with a field name of ILNINV#A which is 2 characters in
length,
however I need to trim it in my logical to just the FIRST CHARACTER, can
specify the length in the logical to just 1 character and if that will
work
will it in fact only the trailing character?

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:39:47 -0400
from: "Fisher, Don" <dfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Field length needs to be different in logical from
        physical

First of all, if there is any way you can accomplish your goal without
doing
this, then do so.  You will thank yourself later when the physical file
changes and noone remembers the logical file has to be changed also.

When you create the logical file, you must specify the physical file
fields
in the DDS, though you don't have to replicate the definitions.  The
abbreviated ILNINV#A field must be defined using the SST keyword.

Hope that helps.

Donald R. Fisher, III
------------------------------

message: 5
date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:43:08 +0200
from: "Richard ECUYER" <recuyer@xxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Field length needs to be different in logical from
        physical

the answer is yes, you can add a new field with a keyword like sst ...

A            NEWFIELD              I      SST(OLDFIELD 2 1)
position, lenght if i remember correctly

------------------------------

message: 8
date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:45:08 -0500
from: Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Field length needs to be different in logical from
        physical

Douglas,

I don't think you can do this.  You can use the SST (substring) function

to trim out a portion of a field; I do that all of the time.  But I
think it has to have another name; such as:

    A            IVCTLG
    A            BRAND              I      SST(IVDESC 1 4)
    A            IVQS
    A            IVCSTS

where the 'IV' fields are data fields in my item master, but 'BRAND' is
the first two positions of the item's description.

        * Jerry C. Adams