Apparently some older i5s have a problem, they think they are p5s!

This is not a problem until you get to about level 143 of the FSP Firmware where the FSP begins to enforce some additional rules. (I say 'about' because I'm not exactly sure at what level this happens) The outword appearance of this problem is that any attempt to Activate an i5/OS partition failes with SRC B200-8105. Now the text for that SRC says SLIC is all blowed up and needs to be slipped. We didn't try this but do suspect that this action would be of no help at all since the SLIC is fine, it's just that the FSP sees i5/OS, and thinking that it's a small p5 (which cannot run i5/OS), it says no to starting the partition. The SRC is misleading.

How do you fix it? Well you need a new activation code for the i5. Rochester support can get it for you but they need quite a lot of information about the system which can be got from the HMC. It's all tech stuff, nothing about ownership or contract numbers or any of that crud. So you give them the stuff and in a couple hours they gin up a new code which gets entered via the ASMI. Now in our case only the "T" side of the FSP had not yet been updated to the new level so going back to the "P: side (older code level) brought the machine back on line until the code was generated.

How can you tell if you need a new code? Other than the B200-8105, I'm not sure if there is a way, and that's bad since an ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure. So far as I know this affects early ship i5-520s and apparently some of the very earliest GA 520s. The system we blew up this morning was a July '04 box as I recall so if you're in that age range, be prepared.

 - Larry