I would like to mention a scenario I see that is sort of relevant.

I have a client that has bought two midrange computers.  One in 1998, and
the other in 1982 or 1983.  He has a few users, less than 20.  He has no
maintenance contract on it, just on the line printer. He uses Windows
workstations.  His applications are A/P, A/R, payroll, manufacturing,
inventory costing, and a second set of similar applications for his trucking
business which runs 20 or 30 over the road tractor trailers.

His annual TCO for the iSeries is basically my charges, which are moderate.
His Windows costs are modest too, but he does have greater costs with them
than with the iSeries.

He and I have discussed costs and why he is using the iSeries.  His answer
is "I am busy,  I don't want to be listening to computer problems.  They
installed this software over 20 years ago and it doesn't owe me a thing, but
it does keep my business for me.  I listen to my competitors and I am happy
to be where I am."

Booth Martin
http://www.martinvt.com