NULL is specialy important if you want to check data consistency. In SQL is well implemented, but in RPG it is quite clumsy to use nulls.

I don't have any ideas if the performance is affected, probably very little. Other than that, I don't see any drawback. (Appart from people, old timers sometimes prefer to it as they always did it)

Chris Payne wrote:

Hello,

What is your take on NULL's on the Iseries, do they have a place? If a
user does not enter data into an optional numeric field, do you set the
field to 0 or NULL? What are some of the drawbacks of using NULL's?

Christopher M. Payne

CPayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

System Administrator/Programmer

The Crown Group