Yeah, but let's be clear here: "rolling upgrades" means a completely
redundant set of servers.  You can't have, say, five servers and then
one that backs up the other five.  So the concept of redundancy on a
server farm is no different than redundancy on an iSeries... except that
with an iSeries you have many more options:

1. You can have a smaller backup box dedicated only to mission critical
functions that is much cheaper than your primary box, and is used during
outages.  My guess is that maintaining such a system in a Windows
environment is a bit more difficult.

2. You can have an offsite box that you lease from a DR firm for major
outages.  With creative planning, you can conceivably use this box for
planned outages.  I'd love to see the offsite DR system that can handle
20 Windows servers--or 120... and how much that costs.

3. You can partition your machine and use a small partition as the
"backup" box as in option 1.  This is less amenable to unplanned
outages, but works very well for planned maintenance and can be a
cheaper option (although with the price of a 500CPW machine down around
$10K, it's harder for me to justify the cost and complexity of
partitioning).

POINT: A single machine is easier to maintain, upgrade, manage and
failover than a cluster.  A cluster provides no more failover capability
than a single machine; you still need redundant machines, connections,
etc. in order to successfully provide HA.

Also, I don't know as much about Windows, Walden, but the vast majority
of software upgrades for the iSeries can be loaded while the machine is
running, and only a subset of them require so much as an IPL, which is
indeed a wee-hours planned outage thing.  Personally, I doubt there are
a lot of truly 24/7 sites.

Frankly, I see "system unavailable" messages on even supposedly 24/7
sites ("The electronic banking system is unavailable for planned
maintenance") with far more regularity than I have ever seen an iSeries
IPLed.

POINT: iSeries upgrades are less frequent, less intrusive and require
less overall downtime than Windows upgrades.

Joe