From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 6:51 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: iSeries Education (was iSeries vs. zSeries)

Eric,
I do think my Common experiences, other educational offerings, user groups,
and several
certifications have made a big difference in my career. Over half the time,
I have
had to fund this myself. It is a very tight market, and often it is the
education and certs that make that difference, and help justify my cost. I
have been more on the contract side of the business, but if applying for a
job, would try to negotiate the education up front. Asking a manager for an
extra week off and $3 - 5k in additional expense is hard to get if no
education budget in place.
I just think of this a continuing education, which is common in many
professional careers.

Jim