We use Infoprint server to send out pdf files from i5 applications.  Some
people here use Infoprint designer but that's not my area.  In the past,
for simple logos and stuff, I used something like:

On the PC:
Create the document for the overlay in Microsoft Word or other
application.  Choose print and select the IBM AFP 240 printer driver.
Check the print to file check box.  Click the properties button.  Click on
output type and select "medium overlay".  Click OK to accept.  Click OK to
create the file.

Transfer the file to the AS/400:
Click on the START button, select programs, accessories, command prompt.
When the command prompt window opens you will need to FTP the file to a
folder on the AS/400 as follows:

cd {path to location of overlay file from the print operation above}
ftp GDISYS
bin
cd /qdls/folder
put overlay.prn
quit

On the AS/400:
1.  Create a temporary physical file on the AS/300 to copy into:

     CRTPF FILE(library/WORKF) RCDLEN(8201) LVLCHK(*NO)

2.  Copy the overlay file from the folder to the physical file:

     CPYFRMPCD FROMFLR(folder) tofile(library/WORKF) FROMDOC(MYOVL.PRN)
TRNTBL(*NONE) TRNFMT(*NOTEXT)

3.  Create your overlay:

     CRTOVL OVL(library/MYOVL) FILE(library/WORKF) MBR(MYOVL)

4.  You may now specify this overlay in the FRONTOVL parameter of a
printer file.  It should overlay the generated output (when printed)