Hi Pat,

The Lexmark 4227's offer three emulations:

1) IBM Personal Printer Data Stream (PPDS - usually
the default) - This is effectively IBM Proprinter with
some modern extensions (like true 15 CPI).

2) IBM Proprinter III - backward compatibility with
true IBM Proprinter formatted application output

3) Epson FX

I believe that the iSeries - AS/400 HPT selection
*lex4227 uses the PPDS emulation.

If the printer were currently set to its Epson FX
emulation, you would very likely get the results you
have described in your posting. Make sure the active
emulation in the printer itself and the emulation
chosen via HPT match and your problem is likely to be
resolved.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

>date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:58:44 -0700
>from: Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: 4227 attach to 3487
>
>I had a customer order a new Lexmark 4227 printer
last >week.

>The printer came in and I went dowen last night to do
>the attach and setup.
>
>We did all the normal things and hooked it up to a
>3487 via parallel cable and set emulation and HPT to
>*lex4227.
>
>Sent a test to the printer and got nothing but
garbage >lines.

>Did several variations of emulations and got similar
>but bad results.
>
>Called Lexmark and spoke to several people who are in
>a distant land. I was told several didferent things
>including the fact that I "needed" a twinax card to
>use this printer on a AS/400.
>
>I gave up on those folks and called it a night after
a >couple of hours of nothing....

>Called again today and spoke to another person who
>stated that it was probably the cable, but he did
also >state that the printer needed a emulation card
>"maybe".....
>
>This customer has 12 Lexmark 2481's attached to
>3487's, so he is fairly familar with this
arrangement.