Sheesh, that's a pretty extreme setup to have to go to just because of Mgt
Central choking on something and damaging those collections!  (not
criticizing, just observing...)  IBM should be able to resolve the Mgt
Central/SQL oriented issue at hand rather than you needing to go to such
measures just to get a full save done!  I would think you could escalate
this one pretty well and get a fix in light of the hoops you're needing to
jump through to facilitate something as basic as a full save.

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             08/25/2005 03:54                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: RCLSTG  (Was: Preventative
             Please respond to         Maintenance For AS400)
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

<snip>
Historically, it has seemed like if you do them regularly they don't
take as long.
<snip>
I don't find that to make a difference.

Here's a catch22.  We run the RCLSTG before the saves to avoid a save
crashing because of damaged objects.  (Management central is really bad at
creating damaged collections.)  However an object will not be marked as
damaged prior to the first attempt to save it.

The scenario.  System is brought down to restricted state.  Unbeknownst to
us we have yet another damaged *MGTCOL.  Doing a DSPOBJD would not have
the damaged flag set yet.  Full RCLSTG is run.  Full system save is run.
Crashes when we hit the damaged *MGTCOL.  At this time the DSPOBJD should
now have the damaged flag set.

This is one of the reasons why Al Barsa recommends doing a full save
immediately upon a full system restore.  Right Al?  It's bitter medicine
to swallow because it significantly increases your downtime in one of your
most stressful situations.

Now we do a SAVOBJ of all objects in QMGTC2 to a save file and delete any
damaged ones prior to the RCLSTG.  What a pain in the bum.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Jones, John \(US\)" <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
08/25/2005 02:19 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: RCLSTG  (Was: Preventative Maintenance For AS400)

We run them as needed; maybe about every 14-18 months normally.  Maybe
also in front of an upgrade, but not necessarily.  The last one on our
730, in June, with 65 17GB drives at about 45% took 1 hour 40 minutes.

Our dev/DR box last did one in June of 2003; at that time it would have
beena 720 with 30 17GB drives and (guessing) 35-40% full.  That RCLSTG
took 1 hour 9 minutes.

Our 570, installed late last year, has yet to do an RCLSTG.

Historically, it has seemed like if you do them regularly they don't
take as long.

Scott, yours is the first day+ reclaim I've heard about since the white
box days.

For those who don't know, DSPDTAARA QRCLSTG gives the starting and
ending date & time of the last RCLSTG along with the then-OS release,
system name, and serial number.

At a former employer, we havd a D10 or D20 with 4 drives.  It was not on
power protection as it was just a small test box.  It eventually ran out
of DASD & locked up.  As part of the recovery process we RCLSTGed it.
Some hours later it finished and the DASD usage had dropped to 35%.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer