You may be right.  However you included no report of how much time you
spent cleaning all of this stuff up.  Been burnt by a former employee that
used to spend a lot of time reducing the number of items in the item
master.  Would never report how much disk space was saved, nor exactly how
much faster it made things run.  But he sure spent a lot of hours on it,
and making withdrawals from the users emotional bank accounts with "do you
need this, do you need that" type of questions.  So, therefore we would
have to include their time in how much time was spent.

Here's something you might understand.  I can quickly go into Domino
Administrator and report the size of our 10 largest mail files as
(in bytes)
7,786,725,376
7,392,985,088
6,450,839,552
4,551,868,416
4,291,297,280
3,985,375,232
3,766,222,848
3,550,216,198
3,272,081,408
3,119,513,600
That's roughly 48gb just in those files.  All of our users combined is
294gb.
The biggest PF on our system is only 100MB.  And PRTSYSINF *LIB
(subtracting one special library used for PC backups) is only 437GB or
only half again as big as the space used by user's email files.  And these
email files are only part of 1 out of the 11 domino servers supported on
this i5.
I've offered to management the ability to set quota's, purge old email,
not allow certain size attachments, etc.  To them it's simply cheaper to
buy more disk and tape than it is to have all these people spend more time
managing their email.  That, and the potential loss of business if they
miss emails, or if they can't get that critical engineering drawing, etc.

One more time about the former employee, we'd save several multiples of
the space he cleaned up by just having one of our top 10 delete emails
over a year old.