Hi Charles

Since Douglas needs the last date, the summary functions are still usable. Peter mentioned the MAX() function - that is one of the summary functions. In the SQL manual I think these are called column functions (IIRC), as opposed to scalar functions like substr() and concat().

A different context helps sometimes - in Query/400 summary screen there are 4 or 5 columns we can check off for summaries. One is the MAXIMUM. There are similar functions in SQL for each column - TOTAL, SUM, AVG, MAX, MIN, even STDDEV, IIRC, which is not in Query/400.

Vern