Carel, I think I can answer this one.

ODBC & DRDA are equivalent functionally - they both enable working with data in different database systems from remote machines. The manufacturer of the database is responsible, usually, for providing a driver to allow interfacing with that database. Almost everyone has written ODBC drivers or OLE/DB providers, for Windows and Linux systems. Almost no one has written DRDA providers, known as ARDs on the iSeries (application request drivers).

There are layers in each kind of connectivity process, and they are similar, AFAIK

ODBC:
Your app talks to
the ODBC management layer which uses
the ODBC driver for a certain RDBMS to convert the request to the syntax of the RDBMS
and connects to something in the RDBMS that is like the DB host server on the iSeries

DRDA
Your RPG embedded SQL app talks to
the relational DB layer which uses
the ARD specified in the RDBDIRE to convert the request to the syntax of the RDBMS
and connects to something in the RDBMS that is like the DB host server on the iSeries

When you set up your RDBDIRE to talk to your PC, there is nothing there to receive the DRDA requests. I am willing to bet that MS has an ARD for SQL Server - they had that SNA Server stuff, etc., so they know the iSeries. But they've never marketed anything - this is pure speculation on my part. Sybase has not made an ARD, there certainly is nothing for mySQL. So the problem is , there is no middleware piece (an ARD) to let the iSeries talk to non-DB2 databases with interactive SQL or embedded SQL.

So IBM has their Information Integrator that will talk to any RDBMS if the ODBC/OLE/DB provider lives on the box where Inf Int is installed. And it does receive DRDA, thus enabling the use of SQL on the iSeries to talk to non-DB2 databases. Or you get something like our RPG2SQL that gives you CLI-like functions that are sent to our RPG2SQL Integrator on some PC, which will then talk to any database for which you have the right driver.

CLI on the 400, by the way, is like the raw, base ODBC function calls syntactically. You have to tell it to connect to something, get some handles back (in Windows, anyway), tell the remote system what statement you will run, ask to get the recordset, ask for each in return, all with individual function calls.