Rick:

Based only on what you've said, yes, many (most?) of us have run into this. Not
only with V5R3 but also with V5R1, V5R2, V4R5, etc., at various times.

Given the condition that no useful indexes have been deleted and similar
conditions, the answer is almost always "Get current on your DB2 PTFs."

Rob started at the correct point for V5R3 -- WRKPTFGRP.

What might be missed is that Rob is focusing on the DB2 'group' PTF,
potentially very different from current cumulative PTFs. Without knowing what
your DB2 group level is, the only advice that's possible is the same SQL
performance advice that is always given. The archives are loaded with it.

Beyond group PTFs, numerous PTFs are _always_ available from IBM that are
almost guaranteed not to be on your system regardless of how current it is,
even up-to-the-minute current. These are commonly for specific environments,
one of which might match yours. These don't get included in cume PTFs, they
don't get included in HI-Pers, they don't get included in groups -- they must
be requested by PTF number. Research through the PSP reports might show they're
available; often they're only found by reporting a problem to IBM and being
told they're there.

And sometimes the PTF doesn't exist yet. There could be something unusual in
the very particular combination of hardware and software and configuration on
your system that uncovers a bug that no one has reported yet. Or someone else
might have run into it and developed a workaround, but it just wasn't reported.
I know of one stupid bug that's been in every release of OS/400 since V3R1; I
guess no one cares enough to report it. (DMPCLPGM from ILE CL, not OPM CL, will
print page headings split over two physical pages for every logical page of
output on most if not all printers. But, big deal.)

Note that answers or valuable hints are often in the PTF cover letters (as well
as "VxRx Memo to Users"). Sometimes it isn't exactly the PTF but a changed
behavior of DB2/SQL that can be adapted to. (Application developers _need_
access to cover letters and Memos to Users for this reason. That makes internet
access useful even when authority to DSPPTF is withheld.)

It might be unfortunate, but that's just the way it is.

In your case, you can investigate from an application view point and make the
decision that it isn't an application problem. Hand it off to operations and
have them work with IBM to get fixes if needed. Sounds like that's where you
ended up.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta