I suppose that changing the SOCKS server port back to 1080 is out of the
question.

In that case, port tunneling may be the answer.

SOCAT is a port tunneling utility on *nix. The nice thing about SOCAT
is that its AIX binary runs on the iSeries in the PASE environment,
with no recompilation.

Try this, either in PASE, or Linux, or any appropriate unix:

socat TCP4-LISTEN:2121 SOCKS4:<socks-server>:<ftp-host>:21,socksport=8090

Then, in your iSeries FTP client run

FTP RMTSYS('socat-server') PORT(2121)

If you run SOCAT in PASE, then the FTP request would look like

FTP RMTSYS('127.0.0.1') PORT(2121)

SOCAT for AIX that runs on iSeries can be found at
http://aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu/packages/socat.html

To run socat, place the binary file in an iSeries IFS folder, and execute

CALL PGM(QP2SHELL2)
     PARM('socat'
          'TCP4-LISTEN:2121'
          'SOCKS4:<socks-server>:<ftp-host>:21,socksport=8090')

SOCAT is verified to run in 5.1 and 5.2.
I am not sure about 4.5, and did not try the SOCKS redirection yet.

Regards,
Shalom Carmel
www.venera.com - Exposing iSeries insecurity