i have a pgm that retrieves the allocated size of a directory using
readdir() and lstat() and stores the dir name and size in a file which I
then graph for historic size allocation and reporting.

when I map the ifs to winexplorer and look at the properties of a directory
the allocated size is very different.

Anyone know why?

-----

Because Microsoft wrote it that way. :)

Explorer rounds off to the nearest kilobyte, lstat doesn't.

If you are talking about the 'size on disk' number in the file properties
pop-up, that is what it is: the actual total size of the clusters the file
occupies. Under FAT32, that'll be some multiple of 32k, under NTFS, it can
go as low as 512k or so. (Possibly even smaller with compression turned on)