Le jeu. 05 mai 2005 17:48:30, Jones, John (US) écrivait:

> Yeah, I understand how the process works, but I don't like it.
> CDs are slower and they have the potential to get scratched.  It
> also means there's something else you need to bring with you when
> starting your DR process.  Basically it adds risk by introducing
> delays and additional points of failure, neither of which are good
> in any situation but especially bad in DR mode.

You are right, for the risk and delays. But the additional time of an
IPL on a CD compared to the overall time to restore the system is,
IMHO, negligible.

> Now, if you actively manage your own DR system the risk can be
> somewhat mitigated by pre-installing the LIC and pre-configuring
> the tape drive, but it's still extra effort that you don't have to
> do with SCSI.

My two cents are that the success of a DR depends on the documentation
and the preparation (eg tests). It means that documenting that you have
to get the CD with the tapes and how to setup the fiber drive to be the
alternate installation device is the key.